Rug Size Guide
The highest reason for rug returns are that the customer chose the wrong size.
Whether you're selling online or in a retail store, this will still happen. Here's a few tips to help to minimize your return rate!
Simple Rules to Follow
- Keep 18 inches space behind the legs of any chairs placed on a rug to allow room for the chairs to be pulled out without going off of the rug.
- Ask your customer to remember where all doors are, even drawing you a picture if they can. Plan and visualize as much as possible!
- A larger rug usually gives the illusion of a larger space. If you can get this point across effectively, your chance of a bigger sale is much higher. Use image examples if needed!
Rug Size Recommendations:
- Smaller living room is 170 x 120 or 230 x 160
Because you're not working with much room, have the legs of the couch and/or chairs by probably about 15 cm or so.
- Medium sized living room is 290 x 200
Front legs of furniture on the rug, back legs off.
- Large living room is 330 x 240 or 400 x 300
Here you'll usually be able to afford to have back legs and front legs on the whole rug.
Bedroom - Bed Size
The two most common positions for rugs in the bedroom are at the foot of the bed with legs just on, and pulling the rug all the way back to almost the head of the bed.
This obviously becomes easier the larger the rug size!
- Rug size for a full size bed is around 230 x 160
Place it at the foot of the bed, on or off the legs but usually on.
- Twin Sized bed is 330 x 240 or 400 x 300
The sizing suggestion is fairly large here, because it looks great having a continuous rug between both beds with all legs on the rug.
- Queen Sized bed, large rug of around 330 x 240
Definitely placing the legs of the bed on the rug this time.
- King Sized bed, it's hard to go smaller than 330 x 240 or 400 x 300
With so much space to work with, you'll probably want to suggest to your customer to bring the rug up to almost the head of the bed.
Dining Room Size
The most important thing with dining room rugs is just to make sure that there's enough space to pull the chairs back.
Take careful note of the fibre type. Do they have babies? Children? How likely are spills? Then take our rug fibre guide into account too.
Smaller dining room is 170 x 120 or 230 x 160
Medium sized dining room is 290 x 200
Large dining room is 330 x 240 or 400 x 300
Round rug - Make sure there's 18 inches room behind the chairs for pull out space.